Spinach, Bacon and Mushroom Quiche
- 1 pie pastry (for a 10-inch quiche or tart pan or 9-inch pie plate)
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 230g bacon, cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms Lutece
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach, packed (very well dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided use
- 170g cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 190 °C.
- Sprinkle bottom of pastry-lined quiche/tart pan or pie plate with 1 tbsp dry breadcrumbs (this will absorb any excess moisture).
- Place bacon in a large skillet; cook over medium high heat until evenly brown; remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling; set aside.
- With 2 tbsp of the bacon fat, sauté onion and mushrooms until all the liquid released by the mushrooms has evaporated; add spinach and cook 1-2 minutes, just until spinach wilts; add reserved bacon, coriander and nutmeg and season lightly (remember there will be salt in the cheese); place in pastry and top with 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese.
- Beat together cream cheese, eggs and milk; season to taste; carefully pour over quiche and gently shake quiche to distribute custard.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until quiche is golden-brown, sprinkling with 1/2 cup of cheese 10 minutes before quiche is done (put the quiche directly on the oven floor for the last 10-15 minutes of baking to crisp up the crust); cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.